For today’s activity, I want you get a sense of the sorts of curation/collection work historical societies (and you) can do.
- Check out the Wisconsin Historical Society’s Online Collections.
- Select one of the Online Collections they highlight, e.g., Chip Chat: Red Dot and the Potato Chip.
- Next, look at the collection and answer the following questions:
- What sorts of artifacts do they show in their collection?
- What sorts of media do the use to share these artifacts? Do they use photos, videos, sound recordings, or written text?
- How is the collection organized? How does this help tell a story about topic?
- Why is (or isn’t) this work valuable? What do we learn about Wisconsin from these collections?