Check out Ilya Somin’s “Can Education or Information Shortcuts Overcome Political Ignorance?” and answer the following questions.
- How does Somin define an “information shortcut”?
- What is “retrospective voting”? What are its shortcomings?
- Why is depending on “opinion leaders” problematic?
- Somin claims that “governments have very little incentive to ensure that public schools really do adopt curricula that increase knowledge.” How did or didn’t your education prepare you to be an informed citizen?
- Are you a politically informed member of our culture? If so, describe how you learn about political issues. If not, why aren’t you informed