Today, we’re reading Caitlin Dewey’s article “The Other Side of the Infamous ‘Auschwitz Selfie’ ” from The Washington Post. Before we dig into the reading, let’s develop some shared knowledge:
- What do you associate with Auschwitz? You can provide a list of bullets.
- Next, what do you think of the selfie Breanna posted of herself at Auschwitz?
- Is her facial expression in the photo appropriate?
- What about her clothing and overall appearance? Does it match what we associate with Auschwitz?
- What about her caption? Is that appropriate?
After building this interpretation of the selfie and caption. Read Dewey’s article. Now, let’s answer the following:
- How does your reading of the selfie change now that you know Breanna’s reasoning?
- What do you think of where she posted the selfie? Was a world wide Twitter audience the best?