In “Respecting Trans Lives on Wikipedia,” Pax Ahimsa Gethen argues that “there is no universal trans story or experience.” Keep this idea in mind as you move forward reading about trans folx and how you might write about their lives.
- Gethen states that they dislike “self-identified” as a way of describing gender. Why?
- What is deadnaming? (Gethen doesn’t explicitly cover this, you might have to look it up).
- How would you handle a trans person’s deadname in a Wikipedia entry?
- Why is the singular “they” important?
- Finally, why is are these tips important for anyone writing for Wikipedia?