Today, we’re reading Margaret Andersen’s Wired article, “The Selfie as We Know It Is Dead.” Keep in mind your understanding of what selfies are and how they work as you answer the following questions:
- In the opening paragraphs, Andersen asks, “is a selfie still a selfie if someone else is taking it for you?” What do you think? Explain your answer.
- Is the selfie just another form of self-portraiture? Why or why not?
- What evidence does the article use to complicate this claim?
- How do selfies allow us to tell our stories? Why is the networked nature of social media a part of that?
- Is the selfie really over?