TW: There are descriptions and depictions of violence against black women.
Today, we are watching Kimberlé Crenshaw’s TEDTalk, “The Urgency of Intersectionality” As we watch this during class, take note of concepts, terminology, or names that you are unfamiliar with or that strike you. After we watch the Talk, you’ll assemble in small groups and answer the following questions:
- How is Crenshaw’s opening example a powerful example of why intersectionality matters?
- What do you think Crenshaw means by facts not fitting into available frames? Why is this important to understand in the study of gender and sexuality?
- What is intersectionality? How would your group define this after watching this TEDTalk?
- What does Crenshaw mean by state violence?
- What is the affect of the end Crenshaw’s talk on you/your group?
- Finally, what can or should WE do to create change?