Museums and libraries regularly use social media to promote special collections and new exhibits. For this discussion, go onto a social media platform (Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, TikTok, Tumblr, or Twitter) and check out how a museum or library from the Midwest that uses the format to share what’s special.
Once you find a social media account that you like, post the URL to one of their posts or their page, and answer the following questions:
- What is the post promoting? Is it related to special exhibit or holding in the museum/library?
- How does the museum exploit the affordances of the form of social media they used? I.e., if it’s a TikTok or Instagram Reel, do they use video to talk to the audience or show movement?
- How important is the visual aspect of the post?
- What hashtags and descriptors does the post use? Why might these be important to finding new audiences?
- Is there anything that could be improved about the post?
- What did you learn from this post that could be used in your Promotion Project?