In “To Be Both Midwestern and Hmong” from The Atlantic, Doualy Xaykaothao argues that Hmong people still struggle for acceptance in Wisconsin. With that in mind, answer the following questions:
- What happens in the opening paragraphs of the article? Why do you think Xaykaothao opens with this scene? How does it impact your reading of the rest of the article?
- Why does Xaykaothao provide background who the Hmong are and how they came to the US?
- Xaykaothao cites an earlier article (1994) written by Roy Beck. What is the purpose of her examining this article? How does it support her claims?
- Why does Xaykaothao share the example of Dylan Yang in her article?
- How does the conclusion leave you?