In his photo essay, “Vintage Beer Signs in the Midwest,” Praslowicz argues that, “a perfect symbol for my upbringing is probably the large Pabst Blue Ribbon or Old Style name signs that every single bar in the region had displayed outside of their establishment.” He suggests there’s a deep connection between these signs and locale. Consider this, answer the following questions, and post your group’s responses here on Canvas.
- Do you agree with Praslowicz? Describe how these signs do (or don’t) reflect your experience with culture in the North Upper Midwest.
- Pretend I asked you to do a research project based on this essay. Develop a list of as least ten potential topics related to one or a number of the signs in this essay.
- Pick the topic that you think is most interesting and has real potential at researched argumentative essay. Write down two research questions that you might generate about this topic.
- Create a list of potential search terms that you would use to find research about this topic. Try to be as exhaustive and detailed as possible.
- Now, type some of those search terms into Google. What kinds of sources pop up? Explain why (or why not) you would use them in a researched essay.
- Now, type these same search terms into Google Scholar. What kinds of sources pop up? Explain why (or why not) you would use them in a researched essay.